Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Blog Jar: "My dream job..."

I've had so many different dream jobs---I mean, I've dreamed of them but not actually had them.

When I was about 12, I wanted to be a Marine Biologist.

By 12 1/2, I wanted to be a photographer with National Geographic so that I could travel the world. (I still love photography and I still want to travel the world.)

By 16 I wanted to be a novelist.

By 18, I didn't know what the hell I wanted to be.

I'll be 30 in three months, and while I never accomplished these dream jobs, different aspects of them still are with me. I adore photography and am saving up for a digital SLR, with which I hope to do some psuedo-professional art (I sold my first photograph a little more than a year ago!). Though I've not been overseas, I still have gotten a decent amount of travelling done in this country. I love to write and hope to one day get something published. ...the ocean scares me, though, so I don't know what started that Marine Biologist kick.

I am more than halfway through my master's degree, which will allow me to get a job that I feel will be good for me. This job will allow me to be my own boss, put my OCD organizing skills to use, and to work in an isolated and cold room for hours on end.

This, my friends, is the life of an archivist.

I've been volunteering for OSU and working several hours per week in their archives. I adore it.

So my most recent dream job is something that I'll actually (hopefully) be doing soon.


(And I'll moonlight as a photographer and novelist, of course.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

and writing tutor? :-)

Brandi said...

Well... for now ^_^ As far as teaching goes, it's the best kind of teaching.