Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Blog Jar: I wish I could change....

....the religious tolerance of people living in this area.

....the lack of appreciation for knowledge and intellect in rural areas such as ours.

....piracy laws.

....drug laws.

I realized, at the onset of beginning this blog post, that all of the things I desire to change are BIG issues, issues that will no doubt label me an atheist, an elitist, a pirate, and a druggie.

When I vocalized my concerns to those in the Writing Center with me as I began this post, Dr. Knight said, "Wow. It's amazing that you aim for such big things. Most people would respond to that (blog prompt) with things they'd like to change about themselves."

The thing is, if there are things about myself which I desire to change, I know fully well that I have the power to change them. It is issues like those listed above that require the voices of many to make a difference.

Recently, I became very enveloped in the Southeastern High School graduation debate. A pagan student voiced his concerns regarding Christian prayer being led during the graduation ceremony. He felt that his religious freedoms were being trampled on because he was being forced to partake in a Christian ritual. In the end, Washington groups contacted the school and told them that the student was correct, and that holding a Christian prayer during the ceremony would, indeed, be in violation of the Constitution.

I followed the Gazette as they covered this story, and I found myself arguing with fundamentalists on the paper's web forums, and realizing how very uneducated many of our local residents are. Those who spoke out against the student's debate called him a "spoiled brat" and said that he should be ashamed of himself and that all of the audience at the graduation should turn their back on him when he walks up to obtain his diploma. The fundamentalist Christians who reacted against the board's decision to forego the prayer at the ceremony did so emotionally, without thinking about the issue intelligently. I was both disgusted by the religious hate on the forums and proud of the religion-tolerant people who were willing to support the boy and his efforts to bring equality to the opressed within his school district.

What this story taught me is that we have a lot of educating to do in this area if we expect to change any of the things I've listed above. I know that a lot of "change" is happening as we speak. I'm confident that our new administration is doing a great deal to combat the willful ignorance that has plaqued our country for so long. I'm not saying I'm a fan of what Obama is doing for piracy, however. Appointing one anti-piracy attorney after another to his team of administrators particularly disheartens me.

So, label me what you will based on this post. I'll continue fighting for truth and knowledge, and I'll hold my breath while those who oppose it die off!

2 comments:

Brandi said...

Word, sister!

Good for that boy for speaking up! I had no idea all of this was going on, but I don't follow local news as closely as I should.

I wish Christians would see they THEY are the ones making so many people angry at their religion. Their In-Your-Face-And-Holier-Than-Thou attitude is very disgusting. I totally believe Jesus would have been like, "You know? This isn't the place." Jesus seemed like a very mellow and forgiving person... so why are so many of his followers such ass hats?

On FaceBook I saw a piece of anti-Obama flair that said, "You keep the change. I'll keep my guns, money, and freedom." And I thought, "You have GOT to be kidding me!" Guns and money--is that what the right-wing wants to be known for? Because that sure as hell is the reputation they've earned themselves. And freedom? Come on. If they actually read the Constitution, they'll see that it says "right to bear arms in a well-organized militia." But they tend to ignore that part.

I have no big opinion on guns, but the whole gun issue coming up lately just makes me angry at right-wingers who feel that guns are more important than healthcare for their fellow human beings.

Sarah C said...

Bravisimo! Well said Jenn.