Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Re: Ron Maxwell's Advice to Tutors video

I completely agree with Ron Maxwell's advice to tutors. In every class presentation I give I try to emphasize the fact that although we are tutors we are students as well. I make it clear that we are not perfect and our goal is to make the writer stronger, not judge. To these fresh (and sometimes frighted) students there tends to linger a misconception that we are writing scoffers set to criticizes and loudly point out flaws. So many times, and I know this from personal experience, English students pour themselves into their projects. The thought of presenting these personal and loved ideas to a complete stranger, especially one who's perceived goal is to point out flaws, can be a terrifying prospect. I think this ideas is the reason for some of the distant attitudes I have come across from students "just needing a slip". It is something of a defense against what they think is coming.

It is important for our fellow students to understand that we are still in the learning process too. Many times I have learned as much from a session as the student across from me. I think if more students could see us as just another person from class and less as the writing henchman, we would all be more comfortable from the start. And let's face it, we all benefit from a friendly, comfy tutoring session.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Writing Henchmen! What a terrific phrase (in jest, of course)! I would love to have a couple of writing henchmen, myself . . .

Naturally, I love your heart-felt response here and I am so glad that students have someone who understands their fears and hopes as well as you do.