Thursday, April 8, 2010

A blog about blogging

I found a great website! It's a random blog topic generator. You pick the category and click a button, and it generates a topic for you. The category options are: All, Opinion, Health, Religion, Science, Art, World, Music, Business, Personal, Technology, People, and Recreation. I chose to leave it on "all." Here are the first 5 blog topics that I received:
  • Math or English?
  • Getting your first job
  • History of football
  • Altering photo colors in photoshop
  • Using public restrooms
While the last one is tempting, I think the topic would quickly go down the toilet. Pardon the pun. So, I will talk about the first one, which is a topic that is near and dear to my heart.

I am (or was, I guess I should say) an English major. For me, reading is abundantly more entertaining and enjoyable than watching TV. Alternately, math makes me feel like I am drowning. I sit and listen, focusing intently, and yet I inevitably reach the point at which everything being said loses all meaning. So I took the required math classes, one of which I would have most certainly failed if not for the professor's generous curve, and shouted with joy the day that I realized that I would never have to worry about a math grade again (the GRE wasn't on my radar back then). And I continued on my merry English way.

People that love math actually confound me. I am glad there are people out there who actually enjoy it, but I cannot even begin to comprehend that frame of mind. My brother-in-law has been out of school for about 10 years, but he sits and does calculus at home for fun. Insane!!!

So, if I haven't made myself clear, let me reiterate: I love English, but math is the devil.

(Good thing none of the math tutors read this blog...)

3 comments:

Deb Nickles said...

The irony of the first topic generated!

Yes--keep Dr. K. from seeing this post--he insists that the dichotomy between math/English is both false and harmful.

But we know the truth. The dichotomy is fun and works as a way to build community in both camps. Luckily, we work in a center where harmony can exist between math and English in whole-brainers.

Brandi said...

No mixing with the math side can be allowed! Denver should be... eliminated.

Kyle said...

AMEN Julie!
I absolutely hate numbers with a passion. The only poetry that you will find in mathematics is the Fibonacci Sequence; way to go 'math people'!
However, the long debate about whether or not math is good or evil comes to an end with Leibniz--in which case, the latter is the conclusion lol!