Friday, October 14, 2011

Something simple: National Writing Day

The task is come up with ideas to celebrate National Writing Day on campus. October 20, 2011 makes number three for this recognized fixed point on the calendar, yet I can't seem to get past the default postcards with writing prompts. I was unaware it existed until my second quarter working as a writing tutor for the college. Not to mention active creativity is not one of my best features. Ideally, I would want to spread awareness before celebrating no doubt a great concept. Writing seems so undervalued in a lot of areas in academia and sitting in the smoker section listening to students talk about the papers they have for their classes for the quarter is not expressed with the greatest enthusiasm. They seem to reinforce the negative side of writing to the point where it becomes a chore instead of something they enjoy doing. So lets celebrate a chore...? I know this may appear pessimistic, that perhaps my perspective on writing papers and college students may be unrepresentative to others point of views, but the probability that there is some truth to it is scary to a student who has a love of writing.

This in turn leads me to the thought process of how to make writing fun? Raffles? One day poetry contests? Offer free food and a place to socialize with "bring a writing piece entry to discuss"? Or default style with postcard/index card prompts spread across the glass of the fish bowl in hopes someone will take an interest to what is on them? Like I said, I am not the greatest active creativity on the spot type of person. I am game for almost anything. I would have fun going around pestering people to answer questions for me on index cards.

No comments: