Friday, January 21, 2011

Agendas... I've never really been one to set an agenda. Maybe they left a bad taste in my mouth after I was scolded by an adviser due to lack of an agenda for a meeting (even though it was totally informal and covered about 3 topics). Overall, I've never seen a point of an agenda in an informal setting. I can understand if the topics are broad and plentiful, having an outline to guide the meeting, but I don't think it would be useful for me in a tutoring session. I also am a firm believer in Murphy's Law, and that anything that could go wrong would go wrong given that I had planned out the session. I have problems with micromanaging situations, and I don't want the focus to be on what I believe is important in a tutoring session-- having an agenda would predispose what would, or according to what I said previously, would not happen. So, to put it simply, they just really aren't for me.

2 comments:

Deb Nickles said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deb Nickles said...

I wouldn't want to scolded by anyone either for not having three points written down on a piece of paper! Even Plato warns that writing can weaken the memory, so maybe it is better to have these "plans" in our heads and work from the heart.

I do want to question your use of "informal" here--that concept is pretty tricky regarding the work we do in the WC . . . I wouldn't describe a tutoring session as exactly informal. Although we have lots of dialogue, we do have goals. Yet, a session should never be strictly formal in any sense b/c that type of work can be stifling and nonproductive . . . what would would use use for something in between?